With the release of BizTalk Server 2013R2, BizTalk HL7 Accelerator (BTAHL7) now supports HL7 2.6 schemas. There are two BTAHL7 installation packages, 32 bit and a 64 bit, only install 32 bit on a 32 bit machine. The 64 bit package enables the MLLP adapter and pipeline to run in both 32 bit and 64 bit mode.
The BTAHL7 installation package installs the following project templates related to HL7 in Visual Studio.
- Empty BTAHL7 Project
- BTAHL7V2XCommon Project
- BTAHL7V21Common Project
- BTAHL7V22Common Project
- BTAHL7V23Common Project
- BTAHL7V231Common Project
- BTAHL7V24Common Project
- BTAHL7V25Common Project
- BTAHL7V251Common Project
- BTAHL7V26Common Project
BTAHL7Common contains Header and Acknowledgement schemas for all versions, specifically MSH_25_GLO_DEF.xsd contains Header schemas for all versions including v2.6 and ACK_26_GLO_DEF.xsd contains Acknowledgement schemas for v2.6.
Open Visual Studio (2013 in my case) and add BTAHL7Common in your solution to get schemas for header and acknowledgements.
Add BTAHL7V26Common Project to your solution to add schemas for HL7 v2.6.
To add a trigger event we need to first add an empty BTAHL7 Project and add reference of the “BTAHL7V26Common Project2” into the newly added Project.
Next we will add the trigger event schema by right clicking on “BTAHL7 Project1” and selecting “Add” and then “New Item” in the “Add New Item – BTAHL7 Project1” window, select “BTAHL7 Schemas” and click “Add”.
In “HL7 Schema Selector” use following details:
Under Message Class select V2 X.
Under Schema Details select the following for each field:
- Version: 2.6
- Message Type: ADT
- Trigger Event: A03
Click “Create” and then “Close”, this will add ADT^A03 schema in your project, please note ADT^A03 is a patient discharge event.
Remember to add the Strong Key to all your projects or your project will not deploy.
You can use this Project to add an Orchestration if you need to implement a workflow or change your message in any way, or you can deploy this project as it is if you are working on a routing-only solution using Send ports.
To receive an ADT^A03 message using MLLP we will create a One-Way Receive Port by performing the following tasks:
1. In BizTalk Server Administrator Open the Application where you deployed your solution, click on “Receive Ports” and right-click then select “New” -> “One-Way Receive Port …”
2. In the Name box, give any appropriate name and click “OK”.
3. Right click on “Receive Locations” -> “New” -> “One-Way Receive Location …”, Select the port you created in step 2 in “Select a Receive Port” window, and click OK.
4. In the Name section give any appropriate name.
5. In the Transport section and the Type drop-down list select MLLP.
6. Click on “Configure” and change “Network Connection Parameters” as appropriate. Note that it is recommended to use a unique “Connection Name” as this name is used in performance counter instances of this connection. Port is on whichever port you will be listening for a connection. Sending application should send this message on a defined host (or IP address) and defined port.
7. For “Receive Pipeline” select BTAHL72XReceivePipeline. If this pipeline is installed in another application add a reference of that application in your application.
To Send Acknowledgement to Sending Party you will need to define party information in the BizTalk Server Administrator tool and will need to configure these parties using “BTAHL7 Configuration Explorer”. These topics will be covered in a subsequent blog.